Tuesday, April 07, 2015

Can I Be Right Back?


I am cleaning.
I am placing a brick onto another brick
in the name of tidiness.
Stacking bricks, sweeping dust.
Then I hear him wake.

I am not ready to go full on Dad.
Meaning, I still got shit to do and I really need him to go back to sleep.
So I wait, I hold my breath and freeze position.

Stirring turns to cooing and I have no choice
I open the door and walk into the artificial waves
I can hear him doing what I was doing
Holding his breath, waiting to see what'll happen next

He is standing up and so I lay him back down and then he stands back up, we wrestle like this for a minute and then I push him back down and put my head down onto his back, I am holding him down with my head. This has worked in the past and it works now also. 
He settles down and I start to rub his back, rubbing him back to sleep and
I start to imagine what he must be going through right now.

A big hand, almost as big as your entire torso
gently massaging your already soft muscles into
 even softer pudding.

After a while, and I can tell by his breathing, he is still awake.
But he is just laying there, relaxed and content.
And I realize I am relaxed and content too.

Being part of the moment is an important life tool.
So is being able to relate to others, especially children.
Also changing the direction at which you approach a perceived problem.

We ended up outside in the sun eating crackers.

It was one fluid moment, this afternoon.

loveammthew

No comments:

Post a Comment

No dick heads please.